Sunday, July 9, 2017

Singing Tips Live with Benita Charles: Take Care of Your Voice

 Benita Charles with super producer, Themi in New York City

Since we recently had a expert holistic health practitioner, Carolyn Jones on Singing Tips talking about self care for artists, I thought it was important for me to share my struggles with vocal care. In order to remind the audience of the importance for singers and speakers to practice proper vocal care.

On this episode, we discussed the importance of taking care of your voice from my experience of abusing my voice.  I've paid the price of severe hoarseness my vocal fatigue.

I'm working on new music in the studio, I've been hired to work with other songwriters on their music in the studio and I've had quite a few live performances.  All these things are very demanding for my voice.  I haven't been practicing good vocal care and I'm paying the price for my actions. I finally had to take a step back and look at the things I was doing.  I had to change my ways or suffer severe vocal damage.

 Here 4 ways to Take Care of Your Voice:

1) Watch overusing your voice.

-- Speak at a normal vocal. Sing within your range and work with a vocal teacher to expand your range.
-- Avoid excessive talking, whispering, constant shouting are all things that are bad for your voice if at all possible.

2) Remember to warm up your voice before you sing.

-- Just as you should warm up your muscles before you exercise, the same applies to your voice for singing and public speaking.
-- Even if it's a low hum for a few minutes.

3) Properly hydrate your voice.

-- Drink lots of water before, during and after you sing. I noticed this especially in the studio where the room could be dry.
-- Proper hydration made a huge difference to my recordings.

4) Rest your voice between shows as much as possible.

-- Sometimes it's good to take a complete vocal where for a day or two, where you don't use your voice at all. If you must communicate, you will write down everything you need to say when communicating with others.
-- This will allow your voice to repair from overuse.

I hope these tips were helpful. Please heed my warning and "take care of your voice!"

Best wishes to you as you take your voice to the next level!

Much love,

Benita Charles Music

"Spreading love through music for your inspiration and entertainment!"

http://benitacharles.com

Blog: http://singingtipsbybcm.blogspot.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bcmsings/

Email: singingtips.bcm@gmail.com







No comments:

Post a Comment