Saturday, July 9, 2016

Pray for America!



Pray for America: This past week has been a trying week for those of us in the US. I've been in a state of shock for the last couple of days with the police shootings of Alton Sterling of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and the next day,  Philando Castile of St. Pal, Minnesota - in this case a 4-year old child was one of the witnesses in the car at the time of the crime. Both horrific crimes were caught on camera for the world to see. It was incomprehensible!

I woke up Friday morning to learn that there were 5 police killed in Dallas during a protest that was peaceful moments earlier. It was reported that the lone gunman, Micah Xavier Johnson, 25, of Mesquite, Texas, was a military veteran who'd served in Afghanistan. He told negotiators that he killed because he was upset with white people and he wanted to specifically kill white police officers. He was shot and killed by a bomb robot after negotiations broke down with police.

It's all been hard for me to understand this level of hate in all instances this week. I'm just not wired that way. I spend my days helping people in one way or another. I love people. I have family, friends, coworkers, associates, artist friends, classmates, fans from all walks of life, ages, religions and backgrounds. I live in New York City, one of the most diverse places in the world that houses millions of people from all over the world. I don't always agree with what everyone says, posts or believes. However, I do respect them as people and their opinions. Somethings, I have agree to disagree. We are all humans - we eat, live, love and basically want the same things. To be respected. To matter. To be important. To be acknowledged. To count.

I have ran across evil, hateful, racists people in my life but never to the extent of what Alton, Philandro and the millions of others in extreme situations have and/are facing. I can't imagine what that could feel like. I'm not a mother so I can't imagine what the millions of mothers and fathers felt like when they saw the videos of these horrific acts. One of my cousins has retired from law enforcement so I could only imagine what our family would be going through if something happened to her. I can't imagine what the families of the officers killed this week are going through. My heart goes out to all those people today.

Something has to change and it has to change fast.  We, as a country, can't continue on the path we are going. This is what we are seeing with all the unrest that we are experiencing now. I don't condone crime to fight crime. There is a better way.

People are protesting all over the country in the streets and on social media. Some have proposed to boycott the NYC transit system on Monday, July 11th as a day of solidarity. Some are rallying with the NAACP and National Action Network to take action. Others have propose having a peaceful conversation between the police and the community to bridge the gap and to help mend fences.

All these things are great and a wonderful step in the right direction and I'm sure will make a difference. However, I would like to see the laws change! I want to see justice in the US Justice System. I don't want to see another police officer not be charged for killing a civilian unlawfully. Unless this change, all the efforts you are seeing now will go in vein. You will see more rioting and an even greater riff between the police and the community and total civil unrest.

We are in need of prayer more than ever now.

I pray for all the family, friends and loved ones of all the people who were killed this week. 

I pray for all the fathers and mothers who are afraid for their children and loved ones because of what has happened.

I pray for the officer's families who lost their loved ones this week.

I pray that the US Justice System is overhauled to truly enforce justice for all.

I pray for America that we will one day become a nation that is unified and respects all its inhabitants.

I pray for everyone who is reading my words that you have peace and love in your life during these troubling times.

-- Sending love & light to the world,

Benita Charles

" Spreading love through music for your inspiration and entertainment!"

http://benitacharles 





 References:

About Alton Sterling: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/06/us/baton-rouge-shooting-alton-sterling/

About Philando Castile: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/falcon-heights-shooting-minnesota/

About the Dales Police Shootings:  http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/08/us/philando-castile-alton-sterling-protests/index.html


No comments:

Post a Comment