Saturday, November 5, 2016

Singing Tips by Benita Charles Music - Tip #24


 Benita Charles in New York City

Singing Tips by Benita Charles Music - Tip #24

Songwriting 101 (Part 2): Music & Lyrics

Today, we discussed music and lyrics - the heart of the song. I shared my songwriting process. 

1) What's the most important part of the song - music or lyrics? Both! Lyrics can bring back memories and music touches your emotions. Together, it's magic!

2) My songwriting process: When I'm inspired to write, sometimes I get the music & melody first then I write the lyrics.  There are also times when I get both. Most of the times, I get the chorus (hook) first and then I build the song around the hook.

Today, I shared a story that has inspired my present song I'm working on now, titled "No - No More!".  I had an experience where someone was very rude and intrusive with me but the worst part was I allowed it and didn't check that person.  Afterwards, I was so angry but mostly with myself because I was caught off guard and did not handle it properly. I have since forgiven myself but I'm writing a great song out of the experience!

3) Keep your lyrical idea in the same direction and make sure the music supports it.

The week's book references:

"Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Songwriting But Didn't Know Who To Ask" by Cliffie Stone

"Everything You'd Better Know About the Record Industry" By Kashif 


Best wishes to you as you take your voice to the next level!

Much love,

Benita Charles Music

"Spreading love through music for your inspiration and entertainment!"

http://benitacharles.com

Blog: http://singingtipsbybcm.blogspot.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bcmsings/

Email: singingtips.bcm@gmail.com


 Live on Periscope:





Live on Facebook:









No comments:

Post a Comment