Benita Charles in New York City
New Year’s Goals
New Year’s Goals
6 Tips to achieve your New Year’s Goals
1. Make New Year’s Goals instead of New Year’s Resolutions
a. Goals are more specific
b. Examples: Instead of I want to lose weight (Resolution), say I want to lose 10 pounds in 60 days (Goal).
c. I did this in 2018 and I accomplished more because I had specific things, I wanted to accomplish
2. Write out your goals everyday (twice a day if you’re ambitious)
a. Writing out your goals keep them constantly in your mind
b. This really worked for me last year. I accomplished more in 2018 than any other year because I was more focused on my goals.
c. This tip was inspired by best-selling author, international speaker and entrepreneur, Grant Cardone (grandcardone.com)
3. Break your goals into bit-size pieces and set SMART Goals
a. SMART Goals are Specific, Measurable, Achievable. Relevant and Time-bound.
b. A SMART Goal is a short statement that a person makes to lead them in the direction of what they want to accomplish. It ensures that the goal-setters are clear on what they’re trying to accomplish, when and how.
4. Have a specific deadline to achieve your goal
a. It helps me to achieve my goal if I know that’s a definite purpose or event I’m working towards. If it’s open-ended, I get distracted easily.
b. It’s even more effective if there’s a sense of urgency to get it done.
5. Tell someone or announce your goal for accountability
a. Tell a friend or announce it on social media
b. When you speak it out loud to someone your goal because more of a reality and you will feel an obligation to achieve it.
6. Reward yourself when you accomplish your goal
a. Celebrate your success!
State what you’ll do
Use action words
Provide a way to evaluate
Use metrics, data reports, progress reports, tracking process
Within your scope
Possible to accomplish (attainable)
Makes sense with your job function
Improves the business the same way
State when you’ll get it done
Be specific on the date or time frame
Articles from Life Hack (lifehack.org)
· 50 New Year’s Resolution Ideas and How to Achieve Them by Ivan Dimitrijevic
· New Year’s Resolution Work Sheet by Dave Kaiser
Article from from Fit Small Business (fitsmallbusiness.com)
· 20 Best SMART Goals Examples for Small Businesses in 2018 by Laura Handrick
· SMART Goals chart
· SMART Goal Template (download)
***Please note: Writing out your goals twice a day was inspired by Grant Cordone's Podcast. He is an internationally acclaimed author, speaker and entrepreneur. For more information, visit: https://grantcardone.com